Most people don’t think about electricity other than simply plugging in our home theater equipment either directly to the wall or into a surge protector. Electricity is a vital component of your home theater components, and typically it isn’t very consistent. Spikes and interference within power lines are very real and can slowly kill your equipment’s circuits or power transformers. This Panamax M5100-PM review explains how this power cleaner acts as a middleman protecting your system.
- Level 3 Power Cleaning and Filtration on the linear level improves picture and sound by eliminating noise, pops, hisses and hum across the entire AC bandwidth. This also includes any visual pops sometimes seen with very noisy power. Your Home Theater system will sound more crisp than ever before.
- There are three outlet banks that are completely isolated which will keep any noise contamination away from any components when they occur.
- For equipment with a high power demand, there are two high current outlets on board. Amps and Subwoofers would be good to use with them.
- Sequential Startup/Shutdown: Complex audio/video systems are sometimes susceptible to voltage changes generated during start-up/shutdown if all devices are powered on or off simultaneously. This can sometimes create speaker “thumps” which can damage your speakers and or trip the product’s circuit breakers. The Panamax is designed to eliminate these by utilizing a “start-up” delay for the High Current outlets and a “shutdown” delay for the Switched Outlets.
- A USB connection is included for use with charging mp3 players, cell phones, and other small devices.
- LAN Port on the front gives easy access for game controllers.
- Total provided AC outlets: 11.
- 5 always on, 4 switched outlets, 2 additional switched high current outlets.
- Auto Voltage Monitor protects your equipment against over/under voltage by disconnecting power and then reconnecting them when the safe power returns.
Every time you upgrade or add something new to your Home Theater, there’s yet another cord to plug in somewhere. After the number of your home’s wall outlet options run out, you typically add a surge protector, and then later on another one, and even then you still run out of outlets.
The fix for this mess is a power management system, like the Panamax M5100-PM. It centralizes all your equipment’s cords, RF coaxial, Ethernet connections and even your dial-up phone line. This is all in addition to the voltage protections that will save your equipment and increases its longevity. It does not actually “regulate” the power however, it only controls how it is handled. If you want the “regulation” of the power, you’ll need the Panamax M5400-PM instead.
- Line Voltage: 120V, 60Hz
- Total Current Capacity: 15 A
- UL1449 Suppression Rating: 330V
- Protection Modes: L-N, L-G, N-G
- Initial Clamping Level: 200V
- Energy Dissipation: 2310 Joules
- Peak Impulse Current: 90,000 Amps
- Catastrophic Surge Circuit: Yes
- Thermal Fusing: Yes
- Over-voltage shutoff: 142 VAC ± 5 VAC
- Under-voltage shutoff: 90 VAC ± 2 VAC
- Banks 1 and 2 EMI/RFI Filtration: 80 db, 100 KHz – 2 MHz
- Bank 3 High Current Outlets EMI/RFI Filtration: 60 db, 100 KHz – 2 MHz
- DC Trigger Input Jacks: 3.5mm (1/8″) mono mini-plug
- Voltage and Polarity: 3 – 24V DC, bidirectional
- Current Requirement: 4.6 mA @3V, 58 mA @24VLAN and USB
- LAN Circuit Clamping Level: 50V
- LAN Wires Protected: 8
- USB Power Delivery: 500 mA @ 5VDCTelephone
- Fuseless/Auto-resetting: Yes
- Clamping Level: 260V
- Capacitance: 30pf (approx.)
- Suppression Modes: Metallic and Longitudinal
- Wires Protected: 2-Wire, Pins 4 and 5
- Cable and Satellite
- HD 1080 i/p Ready: Yes
- Bi-directional: Yes
- Shielded: Yes
- Clamping Level: 75V
- Frequency Range: 0MHz – 2.2 GHz
- Insertion Loss: < 0.5 dB
Where to Buy
You can buy the Panamax M5100-PM at Amazon. Along with their low price and free shipping it makes for a great deal. See on Amazon here.
If you enjoyed this article, see our other Home Theater reviews and guides here.